What Does My Tax Advisor Need to Help Me File My Taxes?

When you get help from a tax advisor to file your taxes, you not only avoid tax filing errors but you possibly lower your tax liability. A tax advisor can also help you reach your investing and retirement goals by helping you implement a tax strategy. We’ve put together a tax prep checklist to help you work together with your tax advisor. 

Personal Information 

List all this information in one document, so your tax advisor doesn’t have to look for it through multiple documents. Give this list a proper title such as your name + tax ID number for easy searchability. Include the following information in your list: 

  • Full name and birthdate 
  • Social Security number 
  • Tax ID number 
  • Any government-issued ID (You may need another form of identification to prove your Social Security information, such as a driver’s license, state identification card, passport. 
  • Spouse’s full name and birthdate 
  • Spouse’s Social security number 
  • Spouse’s tax ID number 


Dependent information 

  • Dependents’ full names and birthdates 
  • Dependents’ Social Security numbers 
  • Dependents’ tax ID numbers 
  • Income of dependents 


Income Statements 

  • W-2 form (employed) – Your tax advisor will still need your W-2 forms to complete your tax forms even though your employer will report your income directly to the IRS. Also, if you have more than one job, you’ll need to provide W-2s from each employer. 
  • Other sources of income such as: 
  • Rental income 
    • Income and expenses records 
    • Rental asset information 
    • Form 1040-ES (record of estimated tax payments made) 
  • Income from hobbies 
  • Trusts 
  • Prizes 
  • Cancellation of Debt (Form 1099-C) 
  • Foreign earned income 
  • Unemployment (Form 1099-G) 
  • Savings and investments of dividends 
    • Income from stock sales or other property 
    • Interest income (Form 1099-INT) 
    • Dividend income (Form 1099-DIV) 
    • Form 1040-ES (record of estimated tax payments made) 
    • Health Savings Account 
    • Long-term care reimbursements 
  • Gambling winnings (W-2G) 
  • Form 1099-NEC (income earned as non-employee, such as a contractor) 


If you are self-employed, prepare the following forms for your tax advisor: 

  • Form 1099 
  • Form 1099-MISC 
  • Expenses documentation – receipts and credit card statements 
  • Home office information (if applicable) 
  • Self-employment expenses (equipment, education) 
  • Employee business expenses (un-reimbursed client meals, travel) 


Tax Deduction Documents and Expenses Receipts 

Your tax advisor will help you figure out the types of deductions you can take depending on your situation. Prepare the following documents and receipts for the major deductions: 

  • Home ownership documents 
  • Charitable donations 
  • Medical expenses 
  • Health insurance 
  • Childcare expenses 
  • Educational expenses 
  • State and local taxes 
  • Retirement and other savings 
  • Proof of losses – Unexpected catastrophes like fires and federally declared disasters can happen, leading to business and property loss. Bring proof of these events to your tax advisor, such as police reports, records supporting property loss, repair and rebuilding costs, insurance reimbursements. 


Preparing your personal information, documents, and expense receipts seems overwhelming enough. However, that’s only half the battle and hassle when it comes to tax preparation. Leave the rest to your tax advisor to ensure your taxes are filed correctly and on time.  

The tax professionals at Golden Tax Relief have decades of experience in tax planning. If you recognize the signs in yourself or your business that it’s time for expert tax planning, click here for a consultation or call 844 229 8936.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.