Truck Tax: Everything You Need to Know About Claiming Credits on Vehicles That Were Sold, Stolen or Destroyed

There are many things you need to worry about when you’re a truck driver, especially an independent one. One of the things you wish you didn’t have to worry about is undoubtedly getting your vehicle stolen or destroyed.

When it comes to such terrible occurrences, you should know that you can stay covered by the IRS – even though the IRS is generally responsible for taking your money!

Through the use of forms 2290 and 8849, you can receive credits and refunds on your vehicles which you have either sold, lost in theft, or have been destroyed.

That all sounds wonderful, but let’s take a look at how it works in practice.

Everything You Need to Know About Form 2290

The IRS form 2290 is generally used to figure out and pay the taxes you’re due on your highway motor vehicle for a taxable period. The vehicles that fit into this bill are usually trucks as the gross weight of such a vehicle needs to be 55,000 pounds or more. If your vehicle weighs more than this, you will have to file the form each year.

Additionally, the 2290 form schedule 1 stamped with the watermark of the IRS is a proper proof of your being the owner of your vehicle. It’s also the most requested proof of ownership, which makes it quite useful.

However, it does sound like this is another way the IRS takes your money in taxes, but there’s more to it.

You can use the form 2290 to claim credit for taxes paid on vehicles that were stolen, sold, or destroyed.

You can only claim the credit when this is handled correctly:

  • Before the period of June 1
  • When you haven’t used it in the remaining period
  • When you haven’t driven 5,000 miles or less in the prior period

Besides claiming credit, you can also use the form to claim a refund on a truck used within the low mileage use limit and when tax dues for it were overpaid by mistake.

Everything You Need to Know About Form 8849

When it comes to form 8849, it’s generally used to claim a refund or excise taxes.

You can use the form in the case of:

  • A vehicle being stolen or destroyed, for which you have already paid taxes through the form we previously discussed – 2290
  • The vehicle traveling less than 5,000 miles on highways

Additionally, if you sell your vehicle after filing form 2290, you can also use this form to claim your credit – but you have to use form 8849 schedule 6.


All in all, this is essentially everything that you need to know about getting some money back when your vehicle gets stolen, sold, or destroyed.

If you want to know more on the subject, or you need some more information about trucking taxes, feel free to visit our blog, or contact us directly with your questions. We’ll be more than happy to help you deal with your problems with the IRS!

No Comments

Post A Comment