How to Report Someone to the IRS

Do you need to file a fraud report with the IRS?

You’ve probably wondered about this by now. Many people and companies try to break the law by not paying taxes or by trying to trick the IRS in some way or form. And you, as a good citizen, are probably wondering what you can do about this. Reporting someone or some organization to the IRS is definitely an option. With that in mind, let’s take a look at how you can report someone to the IRS and everything you need to know about it:

The Best Way to Report Someone to the IRS

The standard way of reporting a person or an organization to the IRS is by using the 3949-A form. All you need to do is print out the form from this link, fill it in by following the instructions within, and then mail it to the IRS. The address for mailing the form is Internal Revenue Service Center, Stop 31313, Fresno, California 93888. Alternatively, you can simplify things by reporting the fraud or evasion to the IRS via phone. All you need to do is call the Criminal Investigation Hotline in your area by dialing 1-800-829-1040. When you want to report someone or some organization, you will have to provide a substantial amount of information about them. That information includes the address, personal information, and more. You will also have to provide some proof or anything that will substantiate your claims. Now, you are probably wondering if you can remain anonymous while reporting. Yes, it’s your choice whether or not you wish to identify yourself. Either way, the IRS won’t let anyone know that you reported someone.

For What Should You Report Someone to the IRS?

If you want to report someone to the IRS, you need to check if there is something worth reporting. Here are the things that need to be reported:
  • When your or someone else’s identity has been stolen.
  • Tax evasion – failure to file tax returns, for example, or any other situation where taxes are avoided.
  • Tax fraud – any activity that’s designed to eliminate or reduce the taxes owed. This includes but is not limited to under-reporting income, claiming personal expenses as business expenses, claiming false deductions, hiding assets, transferring assets or income, etc.
  • If you have any information you believe the IRS needs and offers a reward for it.
Most of these cases are different, and it’s worth knowing what to do in each situation. The IRS has a page where you can get all the answers you need.

The Bottom Line

So, there you have it. Now you have all the information you need to report someone or some organization to the IRS. If they have wronged the IRS in any way, or if they have hurt you in some way that involves taxes or money, you should always get in contact with the IRS. If you want to learn more, or if you need help with the IRS, you can always reach out to Golden Tax Relief!
No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.