30 Oct How Can Truckers File Form 2290 Online
The Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return, or Form 2290 for short, is a federal tax used on 55,000+ pound vehicles using public highways. These vehicles are usually trucks, which is why Form 2290 is one of the most important tax forms truckers need to know. Both truck drivers and owner-operators use it.
In this article, we’ll elaborate more on this form, but more importantly, we’ll tell you how to file Form 2290 online.
Where Is File 2290 Used?
Before we explain how you can file form 2290 online, we should briefly cover where and why you need to use this form.
- For figuring and paying the tax due on your truck for the taxable period.
- For figuring and paying the tax due on a truck for which you’ve finished suspension statements in another 2290 form.
- For claiming suspension from paying taxes if the truck is to be used for less than 5,000 miles during the taxable period.
- For figuring and paying the tax due on trucks that changed their gross weight and moved to a different category.
- For claiming a credit on taxes paid for trucks that were stolen, destroyed, or sold.
Furthermore, you should know that these rules apply to the specific weight of a truck, i.e., ones that exceed 55,000 pounds in taxable gross weight. Never forget that the taxable gross weight is the weight of the truck when it’s unloaded.
How to File Form 2290 Online
Many truckers opt for filing the form manually by mailing the return to the IRS. However, this way you will receive your Schedule 1 copy in 5 to 45 days.
It’s thus preferable to file Form 2290 online which usually takes only a few days. You can submit the form from your home, and you only need to wait for a few days until the IRS checks and approves it. When they do, you quickly get a watermarked Schedule 1.
E-filing is obligatory for those who are filing for more than 25 vehicles, but the IRS encourages all truckers to use the online option. It’s faster, easier, and entirely secure. When you consider that, there’s no need for you to file Form 2290 manually.
The e-filing process is relatively simple and includes only a few steps:
- Gather the necessary information – employer identification number, vehicle identification number, and the taxable gross weight of your vehicle.
- Choose a 2290 e-file provider from the IRS approved list. They all offer a different type of service and fees, so it’s best to choose one according to your needs. Once you decide, you only need to follow the instructions for e-filing Form 2290 on their site.
- Choose your preferred payment option – you can pay directly as part of the e-filing process, or you can use EFTPS, a credit card, debit card, or your phone.
That’s basically it. If you want to know more, you should check the explanation offered by the IRS.
Also, if you want to know more about trucking taxes, refer to our blog. You can also contact us directly if you’re having some IRS problems you can’t handle on your own. Golden Tax Relief is an expert tax resolution company that can help you with any tax problem you’re having with the IRS and give you the peace of mind you deserve.